Administrator Bolden at Washington Week 2012
Welcome to the new U.S. Senate Youth Program blog where we will endeavor to give you current information about the program, our alumni and the people and places that make Washington Week happen. Whether you are a student leader interested in history, government and politics, or you are a school counselor, teacher or parent interested in encouraging such students to pursue leadership and public service – we hope you will find this new part of our site interesting and informative.
Washington Week is unique because of our fantastic speakers who give generously of their time with the USSYP student delegates. Elected or appointed officials serving at the highest levels in each branch of the federal government, USSYP speakers impart wisdom, career advice and life lessons as well as factual information about their areas of expertise.
During Washington Week the student delegates have the opportunity to meet and speak with the President, a Justice of the Supreme Court, the Senate Co-Chairs, other Senate and House Members, Cabinet Secretaries, other federal agency leaders and senior members of the national media. This in-depth exposure is precisely what fuels and sustains the delegates’ commitment to making a difference in their country, communities and schools.
Speakers are asked to tell the students their own life stories, relaying moments or mentors in their lives that inspired and instructed them. The speaking events feature in-depth and spirited question and answer sessions that reflect the student leaders’ passion for public affiars and allow for a real exchange of ideas. NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden, Jr., who served as the keynote speaker for the USSYP 50th anniversary dinner in 2012 and who spoke again at this year’s program, is a prime example of a public servant whose life story and career are an inspiration to all.
To learn more about Administrator Bolden and other great speakers, click on the links below:
C-SPAN Q&A feature on Administrator Bolden (Video)
2013 USSYP Yearbook article about Administrator Bolden’s Washington Week event (PDF)
2013 USSYP Yearbook article about Then-Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood (PDF)
2013 USSYP Yearbook article about Congressman Emanuel Cleaver (PDF)
The full 2013 speaker agenda (PDF)
2013 United States Senate Youth Program Speakers (listed in order of appearance)
- Former Chief Judge Robert H. Henry – U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, USSYP Alumnus (OK – 71)
- Secretary of the Senate Nancy Erickson
- Parliamentarian of the Senate Elizabeth MacDonough
- Senate Historian Don Ritchie
- Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Elena Kagan
- Senator Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire — USSYP 2013 Democratic Co-Chair
- Then-Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood
- Secretary of State John Kerry
- State Department Spokesperson for the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs Aaron D. Snipe
- FBI Assistant Director Ronald T. Hosko
- Archivist of the United States David Ferriero
- Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina – USSYP 2013 Republican Co-Chair
- Congressman Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri (D-5th)
- Japanese Ambassador to the United States Kenichiro Sasae
- President Barack Obama
- NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden, Jr.
- Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee (R)
- C-SPAN Founder and Executive Chairman Brian Lamb
- Director of the Joint Staff (DOD) Lieutenant General Curtis Scaparrotti