Skip to content
- All students must agree to fully block both arrival and departure travel days to participate in Washington Week.
- All travel provided by The Hearst Foundations is round-trip only
NO TOURS OR TRIPS WILL BE PERMITTED BY INDIVIDUAL DELEGATES WHILE TRAVELING TO OR FROM WASHINGTON, D.C. OR WHILE IN WASHINGTON, D.C. THIS POLICY INCLUDES ANY OTHER OUTSIDE ACTIVITY, CONFERENCE, SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION OR EVENT OF ANOTHER ORGANIZATION WHICH IS CONDUCTED IN WASHINGTON, D.C. OR THE SURROUNDING AREA DURING THE TIME FRAME OF THE USSYP WASHINGTON WEEK.
- The chief state school officer from each state, the District of Columbia and DoDEA must submit in writing to The Hearst Foundations by DECEMBER 1, 2019 the names of their two delegates and two alternates. Upon confirmation of qualifications, the program requires each delegate to submit a statement of participation including a code of conduct agreement to be signed by students and parents or legal guardians.
- Code of Conduct: Delegates will be the guest of the United States Senate and The Hearst Foundations throughout the program and are required to conduct themselves with civility, dignity and professionalism. Debate and discussion are actively encouraged in an environment of tolerance, respect and inclusion. Students selected to the program are serving as at-large public representatives of their states, communities and schools, and attend the program to learn from the speakers and from one another. Students are prohibited from engaging in lobbying, petitioning, protest or overt political activism in the presence of speakers, at any venues visited, or on social media during Washington Week.
- It will be the responsibility of the parents or legal guardians to transport (at their expense) each delegate to the nearest commercial airport or train station that provides round-trip travel to Washington, D.C. from their hometown. All Itineraries will be designed for the least amount of travel time and most direct routing.
- No arrangements for individual religious practices or services other than dietary guidelines will be made during Washington Week. This policy will be strictly observed from the time the student delegates arrive at the Washington area airports, train stations and program site until they return home.
- The program does not allow any individual or group athletic activities outside of the hotel facility.
- Failure to abide by rules and requirements of the program will result in dismissal from the program and forfeiture of the $10,000 scholarship award. Rules related to the USSYP and scholarship award shall be construed, interpreted and applied by The Hearst Foundations, whose action and determination shall be final and binding.
Washington Week Slideshow